Most houses often have plumbing problems after one year or less due to continued use. However, there are some plumbing repairs that you could do even without the help of plumbers. Since there are also times where there are emergency plumbing repairs that need to also be repaired immediately. Some of these plumbing repairs include the following:
Most blockages often occur in sinks, tubs, and showers. There are three methods to clear the blockages from the drain. Most blockages can also be removed by drain cleaners; however these have chemicals that can cause burns on a person. The three methods that can clear blockages are:
- Plunger – First you have to fit the plunger over the drain and pump the plunger up and down to create a vacuum effect on the drain. Then remove the plunger and if the drain is clear, the water would immediately run down. Repeat the steps if necessary.
- Removing the P-Trap – Turn off the water source of the drain then place a pan or anything to catch the water under the drain. Then remove the pipe using a wrench to loosen the nut at the pipe’s connection point. After that, remove the clog inside the pipe and return the pipe on the connection point and seal it using plumber’s tape.
- Snake the Drain – First you need to unwind the plastic snakes making the teeth face up to you. Then you need to feed the snake down the drain until there is a resistance. After that, you need to work the snake up and down by pushing and pulling it through the drain until there is no resistance felt. Lastly, you need to pull the snake back and remove the clog or hair from the snake’s teeth.
Repairing Leaky Faucets
These are the most annoying things especially at night when they drip and they can also be costly because you can lose a certain amount of money over a year for even very slow drips. Here are the steps to repair you leaky faucet.
- Turn off the faucet’s water.
- Expose the screw of the faucet by pulling the cap off on top of the faucet’s handle.
- Remove the faucet handle’s screw to get the decorative part of the handle off.
- Remove the O-ring and washer from the faucet and take the said pieces to the hardware store and get the part’s correct size. After acquiring the parts, place the parts back.
These are the two most common plumbing repairs that you can do at home.